Our NHS is in crisis. A&E waiting times are the worst on record – the target of 95% of patients being dealt with within 4 hours hasn’t been met since 2013. The Tories have cut 17,000 hospital beds since 2010 and cuts have consequences – this week we saw images of a 4 year old boy with suspected pneumonia forced to sleep on the hospital floor. The NHS is now chronically understaffed with NHS staff working 1 million hours of unpaid overtime every week to try and cope with the demand. We simply cannot trust the Tories with our NHS. The Tory austerity agenda has been a choice, they chose to give tax cuts to billionaires and corporations instead of properly funding our public services.
We need to judge the Tories on their record. When we look at the damage the Tories have done in the past 9 years – we can only assume that they will continue to damage our vital services. We have seen leaked documents from the secret trade talks between the government and the US. We know that big US corporations want to use the deal to hike up drug prices costing the NHS up to £500 million a week. In a trade deal with Donald Trump – can anyone really trust Boris Johnson to not sell out our NHS?
Things do not have to be this way. Labour created the NHS, Labour truly believes in our NHS and only Labour can save our NHS.
- We will increase expenditure across the health sector by an average 4.3% a year
- We will improve stroke, heart disease and cancer survival rates by providing earlier diagnosis and improved screening rates
- We will end the creeping privatisation – by repealing the Health and Social Care Act and ending the requirement that services need to be put out to competitive tender
- We will introduce a training bursary for nurses, midwives and allied health professionals
- We will train more GPs – providing resources for 27 million more appointments each year
- We will end hospital parking charges
- We will introduce free prescriptions in England (the only part of the UK which pays for prescriptions)
- We will invest more in primary care settings, modern AI, cyber technology and state-of-the-art medical equipment, including more MRI and CT scanners
- We will put £3.6 billion extra into mental health including new buildings, new beds and counselling services in schools and communities
- We will put £2.5 billion into upgrading GP surgeries
- We will provide free annual NHS dental check-ups
- We will introduce mandatory standards for NHS in-patient food
- We will repair and rebuild hospitals and facilities that have been neglected
- We will invest in public health campaigns including health visitors and school nurses
- We will build a comprehensive National Care Service for England
If you want to save our NHS, vote Labour on Thursday.